Tobo bruk

Tobo, Tierp

Louis De Geer purchased the Toboda estate from the crown in 1643. His son Emanuel constructed a blast furnace here in 1676. Charles De Geer built a 25 km long transport route through the woods from Tobo to Lövstabruk in 1693.

When Lövsta and Karlholm blast furnaces ceased production, Tobo met Lövstabruk´s entire demand of pig-iron. At the end of the 17th century Tobo also featured a sawmill, windmill and brickworks, Agriculture increased through land purchases and at the end of the 19th century through drainage. In 1889 woodworks was built; this closed in 1901.

The De Geer family owned the Tobo blast furnace until 1918 when it was sold to Gimo-Österby bruks AB. Operations ceased in the 1920s. The smeltery, which today stands largely intact, was built in 1883 and rebuilt in the 1910s. Monark, a manufacturer of sports products, radio and TV receivers etc., acquired the works in 1937. AB Carl Munters took over the industrial area in the beginning of the 1970s. The white manor house lies in the center of the community between the main street and the nearly dry creek. The Carolin main building from the first half of the 18th century flanked by annexes from the 1830s. The old granary stands beside these buildings. Housing lies along two historic streets. It is possible that a few cottages are the remains of the works earliest habitations.