Our Sustainability Efforts
For Visit Roslagen, sustainability means careful use of natural resources and ensuring these resources will also be available for future generations. There shall be robust and sustainable systems for the local population as well as for visitors. Businesses shall have a long-term perspective on development and Roslagen shall be a place where people can live and work for a long time. We believe that where there is a permanent local population, attracting visitors will be easier, especially in terms of a well-functioning all-year-round infrastructure.
Environmental certification from Swedish Environmental Base
In order to broaden our knowledge and reduce our environmental impact, we have during the spring of 2018 introduced an environmental management system that complies with the Swedish Environmental Base requirements. During the period from 1 February to 30 June 2018 we carried out a sustainability project with support and project management from SamCert AB. This has led to taking a number of concrete measures:
- An environmental policy, objectives, and action plan
- A recent environmental survey identifying significant environmental aspects
- Carried out concrete environmental improvement efforts
- Provided basic environmental knowledge training for all employees
- Anchoring and presentation of the environmental efforts
- Approved audit of documentation as well as practical environmental efforts
Fairtrade at work
Our workplace chooses Fairtrade-labelled products and is thereby part of creating the conditions for empowering farmers and their employees in improving their own working and living conditions. Fairtrade is an independent certification organization with criteria for financial, social, and environmentally sustainable development in countries with widespread poverty. Learn more at fairtrade.net.
Member of Naturturismföretagen, the organization for sustainable tourism business
As an organization and business member of Naturturismföretagen, we are part of and supporting the efforts to achieve:
- more eco-tourism
- more professional businesses demonstrating growing power
- improved conditions for the nature tourism industry as a whole
This is valuable work for nature conservation, cultural heritage and not least for Sweden and Roslagen as a tourist destination.
We scrutinize our own arrangements and events in perspective of environmental impact in order to minimize negative environmental impact through for example:
- minimizing transport
- minimizing waste
- directing purchases towards environmentally sustainable products, preferably locally produced, ecological and/or Fairtrade certified
Visitor centres are eco-tap labelled with Kranmärkt
Visit Roslagen’s visitor centres are labelled Kranmärkt by The Swedish Water & Wastewater Association. This sustainability label means taking a stand for a better environment by serving and drinking fresh, healthy, locally produced tap water instead of bottled water. No packaging means no waste, no transport, and no emissions!
Visit Roslagen shall pursue long-term and systematic environment and sustainability efforts focusing on continuous improvement within our business areas such as tourist service, marketing, sales, destination development and local events. Visit Roslagen shall be at the forefront and work proactively to minimize environmental footprints of tourism.
This is achieved by:
- Regarding sustainability work as a strategic area where our objectives, efforts and results shall be well known within and outside the organization
- Taking environment and sustainability perspectives into consideration from early stages such as planning and development and strive to minimize use of resources, transport emissions and waste
- Employees with a deep knowledge of sustainability
- As far as possible choosing goods, products and services from suppliers who actively engage in sustainability efforts, offering environmentally friendly, ethical products and services
- Identifying and following environmental laws, regulations and other requirements affecting the business
- Providing sustainability information to customers, business-partners, and other stakeholders
- Continuous development and refinement of our products and services in order to always meet, and preferably exceed, expectations and demands from our customers, clients and business-partners
- Define yearly improvement objectives and follow-up the outcome