The north of Ljusterö got its first chapel in the 1600s, possibly already in the 1500s. The chapel was built in the village Mellansjö close to Mittensjön. The village Mellansjö was gathered on a hill until the new shift reform “laga skifte” in 1865, then several farms was removed from the village. A new chapel replaced the old one in the 1750s and it was built 250 meter northeast from the old chapel, renamed Kyrksjön. The chapel was built by lying timber with external red-colored panel and wood roof. In the end of 1800s decisions was made to rebuild and redesign the chapel into the church it´s today.